To everyone who doesn’t really have the weekend off or their weekend is a different portion of the week, don’t worry, your Friri-yay is right around the corner (I hope).
And what a Friday it has been for me. I just got back two essays that were A+. An essay on Plato and an essay on Aristotle. Interesting stuff, their philosophies are. To celebrate, I got to watch The Hitman’s Bodyguard, which was hilarious (review to post soon. Cross my heart). And now that my body had time to relax, I’m lazy!
So, here’s to Friday night. A time to let your hair down (so to speak) and just relax. May this weekend be relaxing and joyous.
Until then … пока!
Okay, I seriously don’t know what happened to the post I just spent the last twenty minutes writing. So, redo.
I would like to say that I’ve been busily writing those reviews I need to catch up on, but truth is I have a renewed interest in learning Russian. And that’s where I’ve been this past couple of days. I promise I’m not goofing off! Here’s proof.
Learning a second language has been one of my goals for years and Russian has been my target language for the past two or three. I’m behind mainly because I keep pushing it to the side. As much as I want to learn another language, work and school are my priorities (and they still are) but I need to make more of an effort to incorporate Russian into my daily routine, even if only for thirty minutes.
So, my game plan. So I can hold myself accountable.
- Practice reading in Russian for ten minutes a day. Currently, I suck at pronunciation. I can read fairly well, but I’m still trying to get the hang of stressed and unstressed letters. Hopefully by reading I can pick this up.
- Practice writing in Russian for ten minutes a day. Because I’m a writer. And because writing seems to make things sink in and help me to recognize patterns (in my first draft I listed examples, but I’m too tired to pull it up again. They’re written in my language journal which is tucked away since I’m just about ready to sleep!).
- Start a vlog. Which is for my eyes only! Possibly. Maybe. For now at least. Reading and writing helps, but keeping a daily vlog will probably help with my pronunciation.
- Add three words to my vocabulary list. Because it’s good practice, especially if I use a partial phrase to help students learn, like “This is a [insert vowels].”
- Practice three phrases per week. Because I agree with polyglot Olly Richards. We hardly use single words to communicate. When we do, it is generally spoken in phrases. This will teach me something new.
So there you have it. Game plan! Can’t wait to check back in. See you then
Whew, what a day!
Of course most of my day was spent at work. And while I love working at the library, the day can drag on.
From there I jumped into my Russian language studies. I’ve slacked off on this now that I’ve doubled my efforts at school. Well, to be honest, I also haven’t made a real study plan (until now).
Not to mention that I spent the first half of the week contemplating Aristotle’s philosophy on metaphysics, logic, and politics and that the past couple of weeks I was picking apart the key dialogues of Plato and his Theory of Forms … a mental health break is called for.
Every once in a while you need to take a break from rigorious if not it can be rather taxing.
So here’s to a study break! Except, on this break all I can think of is what to study next in my language learning journey, and posting. I made it through most of Pimsluer’s Conversational Russian and now listening to Pimsluer’s short course. Aside from audio practice, I’m also getting familiar with reading Russian.
But that’s my study break, for now 😊.
Добрый вечер! (Good Evening!)
Over a year ago, July 2016 to be exact, I found myself wide awake with nothing to do (read all about it here). Finding myself seven episodes deep during my first sitting, I decided I liked this show. Loved this show.
With in seven days, I made it to Season 2 Episode 14 and a month later I would find the time to watch S2 E15. And then I stopped. Abruptly. As in, “there’s no way I can continue in this emotional state now” kind of stop. Because . . . Zade! Heart. Break. Seriously. And it would take me over a year later to finish this wonderful series.
And it would take me over a year later to finish this wonderful series.
Childish? Maybe. Dramatic? Possibly. Emotional? As emotional as an INTP can get. Which is very. Except we wear it on the inside.
Now, I like spoilers. So I did look up how things ended immediately after S2 E15 “The Gambler.” I just had to! I needed to know. Even when I did, I still couldn’t watch.
Now I am happy to report I have completed this wonderful series and I am glad/sad that I did. sniffs Such a great show. I’m sad they only took it to season four, but I’m glad they were able to close out the show with . . . well, closure.
So, my game plan is to be reviewing the four seasons they were in production this month because this show deserves it.